The 7 Day Arts Challenge
The process of consuming and / or making art are proven to reduce stress and anxiety and increase positive emotions. In a world which seems pretty uncertain and when parts of society are fractured, we need to make sure we connect with our human need for culture beyond that of reality TV and news headlines.
So, we are issuing a challenge for those who are up for it, and we’d love to know how you get on.
THE 7 DAY ARTS CHALLENGE
Every day, for 7 days, actively experience or make a form of art purely for the sake of it.
This doesn’t have to be complicated and involve suddenly booking tickets to the Opera, although that would be fabulous, and it doesn’t have to cost a thing, apart from a small amount of time.
Examples of “arts” you could make or do:
- draw a picture, whether use your children’s felt tips or an ipad
- make up a story – whether out loud or written down
- play an instrument, if you have one you can access
- grab a camera, go for a walk, and take some photos
- dance…. really, wholeheartedly, dance
- make a fire
Examples of “arts” experiences you could have:
- listen to a new song or piece of music by a new artist (we mean with no distractions, properly listening)
- read a chapter of a fiction book
- visit your local museum / art gallery
- go to your local library and browse a section you’re interested in but never get around to engaging in
- go to a local pub which has some live music
This is no way about being "good" at anything, it's purely about having an experience for the sake of it. It is not for charity, it is not for any particular cause, this is for YOU.... and your soul.
Many studies have been done about the positive effects of consuming and doing art; one of the main ones being,
“Reductions in stress and anxiety and increases in positive emotions”.
Basically across the board the process, especially of making art – whether that be writing, painting, singing, dancing, or anything in between — is good for you!
The Edinburgh Festival Camping Team have noticed that every year when we come back from Edinburgh we always feel uplifted, positive and inspired and notice the effect of being surrounded by, and exposed to, artists and art of all different varieties. We also notice that our children are far richer for it.
So, we’d like that feeling to spread and be shared and for all of us to put a little bit of “art” into our lives, and encourage others to do so too…
So, what do you do now?
Well, it’s simple:
- Have a think about some things you might enjoy doing no matter how small and note them down.
- DO ONE OF THEM
- DO ANOTHER OF THEM
- AND REPEAT
- Let us know what you’re doing, share a picture of what you’ve produced or how it’s made you feel – but only if you want to – via Facebook, Twitter and use #7DayArtChallenge or by commenting below on this article.
- Share the idea with your friends, your families, your children and spread the good vibes…